Kandy to Sigiriya Day Trip
Kandy to Sigiriya Day Trip is a fabulous experience to take for a guest. This single-day tour will cover most of the culturally important places in the central province. During your Kandy to Sigiriya Day Tour, you will be lucky to visit Matale Hindu Temple, Matale Spice Garden, and Dambulla Cave Temple.
As your chauffeur, we will provide budget to luxury vehicles according to your requirements. The distance between Kandy and Sigiriya is 90 kilometers, and it will take 2.5 hours to complete without stopping.Hiking to Pidurangala Rock or climbing Sigiriya Rock Fortress will undoubtedly bring joy to anyone.These two locations will produce beautiful images from which you can capture amazing shots to post on Instagram.
So, plan your day trip from Kandy to Sigiriya with Lanka Safe Tours. Check out the below itinerary for more details;
- The Kandy to Sigiriya day trip commences after the guests have their breakfast from their overnight hotel.
- The tour consists of many amazing destinations; the first destination is the Matale Hindu temple. Matale Hindu temple is named the “Muthumariamman Temple”, the name Muthumariamman is a combination of the name Muthu means Pearl, Mari means rain, and Amman means mother. The temple was built devoted to the goddess Mariamman who is believed to be the goddess of rain and fertility. Both Buddhist and Hindu people worship this temple; often the Hindu people use the wedding hall in the temple to commence their marriages. The main religious event in the temple is the chariot festival, which is celebrated in March and is a very festive event to witness.
- Then the tour takes you to the spice garden in Matale, spice garden is an enchanting place to wander the scented greenery and get a piece of useful knowledge about spices and their uses to enhance meals, cosmetics, and medicine.
- After the spice garden, the next destinations are the Sigiriya and Pidurangala rocks. The tourist can decide in the order to visit the two destinations. Those two locations are the main destinations of your Kandy to Sigiriya Day Tour. The Sigiriya (Lion rock) is an ancient ruin of a fortress built by King Kashyapa; it was selected to be his new capital. The rock is situated near the city of Dambulla; it has a height of 180m. Halfway up king, Kashyapa built a gateway that looked like an enormous lion this structure gave this massive rock its name. After the death of the king, the palace was abandoned and was later used as a Buddhist monastery until up to the 14th Sigiriya is a UNESCO-listed world heritage site.
- Then the Pidurangala rock is located a few kilometers north of Sigiriya, even though it is less popular than the Sigiriya rock. The Pidurangala rock is more natural and offers a peaceful site of the Sigiriya rock and the surrounding. It is almost tall as the Sigiriya rock just 1m short standing at 199m. It has a long history to itself; it is believed that before king Kashyapa moved the monks to the Pidurangala rock before he took over Sigiriya. The Pidurangala rock is a much more adventurous climb.
- Following that, the next location to come is the Rangiri Dambulla Cave Temple also known as the Dambulla Golden Temple, which is a sacred pilgrim site for over 22 centuries. It is believed to be the largest preserved cave temple in Sri Lanka. There are mural paintings covering up to an area of 2100 m² and consisting of 157 status. The cave consists of five caves. The caves are built under a hanging rock about 150m tall. The cave temple is a geological wonder. In 1982, the giant 15m statue and pagoda were built after the conservation project. UNESCO listed the temple as a heritage site to protect it.
This will conclude your Kandy to Sigiriya day trip with us. We will drop you off at the pickup location or your preferred location.