KANDY CITY TOUR
Kandy City Tour is a single-day tour where you will cover most of the significant tourist attractions of the city. We will start the Kandy Day Tour just after your breakfast in the hotel.
Here are some of the places we will cover;
- Temple of the Tooth Relic
- Kandy Lake
- Kandy View Point
- Kandy Local Market
- Bahirawakanda Temple
- National Gem & Gemological Museum
- A Tea Factory
- Peradeniya Botanical Garden
- Kandy Cultural Dance Show
- Kandy Shopping Complex
We are sure that you will get more joy during this tour. It is a knowledgeable day with so many new things to know and learn.
About Kandy City
Kandy is the capital of the central province of Sri Lanka. It is a world heritage city with a lot of cultural and historical importance. The elevation of the city is 447 m, where you can experience a pleasant climate. The city has over 600 years of history. It was the last Sinhala kingdom in the country, and King Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe was its last king.
The British captured the city in 1815, and then they ruled Sri Lanka until 1948. The Kandy Esala Perahera is a colorful festival held in Kandy city every July or August. This wonderful festival contains many whip crackers, dancers, elephants, and drummers. It is a must-watch festival in Sri Lanka, which brings additional value to the city as well.
More Details About Kandy City Tour
- You will first visit the Temple of the Tooth Relic (Sri Dalada Maligawa) to start your Kandy city tour. This is a very important place for Buddhists because the left canine tooth of the Lord Buddha is enshrined here. The Temple of the Tooth Relic is also a UNESCO-designated world heritage site in Sri Lanka.
- Next, you will visit Kandy Lake, which you can see near the Tooth Relic Temple. Locals called this lake “Kiri Muhuda.” This is a superb spot for a leisurely walk and getting relaxed for a few minutes. It is believed that the lake was built by King Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe in 1807.
- After Kandy Lake, you will next visit Kandy View Point. This is a nice spot from which you can observe Kandy City. It is a few meters away from the lake. Kandy View Point should be included in any Kandy Tour itinerary.
- Kandy Local Market is your next stop after the viewpoint. It is situated in the center of the city and contains two floors with an inner courtyard. Here, you can see how local vendors do their selling activities.
- Your next destination is Bahirawakanda Temple. The giant Buddha statue in this temple will definitely draw people to this place. Someone also calls this “Sri Maha Bodhi Viharaya’. Its massive statue stands 25 meters tall and can be climbed to the top. This is another great vantage point to observe Kandy.
- The National Gem and Gemological Museum is the next stop on your tour itinerary. Here you can learn everything there is to know about Sri Lankan archeology and how they convert dates back from 4.6 billion years. You will also be lucky to see some rare minerals in this museum. The place is a superb spot for those who love to learn new things.
- According to the Kandy City Tour Itinerary, you will next visit to see a tea factory. So you’re no longer in the city. Here you will learn the entire process of producing the famous Ceylon tea from start to finish. Tea is a major economic crop in Sri Lanka and makes a huge contribution to the country’s economy.
- Following your visit to the tea factory, your next stop should be at the Peradeniya Botanical Garden. It is the largest botanical garden in Sri Lanka, with an area of 147 hectares. Here you can observe nearly 4000 plant species. As well as its flower garden, it also attracts visitors. Peradeniya Botanical Garden has situated 6 km from the city, and it is a nice place to stay relaxed.
- In the evening, you will watch the Kandy Cultural Dance Show. It is organized by the Kandy Lake Club, where you can see many traditional dances. These dances can also be seen at the Kandy Esala Perahera festival. You will be lucky to see some of those dances outside the festival.
- After the cultural dance show, based on the time left, your final destination will be the City Shopping Complex. Here, you will participate in a shopping experience. You can also purchase souvenirs to take with you.
After the shopping complex visit, We will safely drop you off at the hotel so you can finish the Kandy City Tour with us!